Skip to main content

Pick Up Lines

'No man will love you better...'

'Do you like to cuddle?'

Dating is THE WORST. People don't meet organically anymore, or not very frequently. I've been using online dating sites since 2008 and boy oh boy do I have stories. I've had some good dates, but more bad ones. I've learned its easy to feel like you connect with someone online but it's the real life chemistry and interaction that counts. I've learned that protecting yourself is invaluable, especially in an age when accessibility is the name of the game. I don't give out my phone number easily, nor do I let just anyone into my home. And most importantly, I don't let just anyone into my life.

Which makes it hard when you may want to let someone in. A good friend of mine has said to me her biggest worry about me post-breakup 2013 is that I will build all my walls back up. And it's hard not to do that. You open yourself up in a relationship and trust and become vulnerable, and so when that's all shattered, the immediate reaction is to make it so someone can't do that to you again.

But somehow I keep putting myself out there, just hoping that something, or rather someone, will be a reason to be vulnerable and let myself love and trust again. Until then, I'm going to remain guarded, cynical and laugh at the lame pickup lines that come across my email.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Leaving Higher Education

If you thought you read that statement incorrectly, it should say 'why I'm leaving higher education.' Yep. It's true. The word is out, and so I've decided it's definitely time I write about some really important things that are happening in my life a little more publicly. Mostly because I am really excited about these changes, and partly because I feel there's a lot of judgment going on about my decisions and I'd like to clarify why I'm taking this path. For those who have not heard the news (which is probably most of you), I put in my resignation at NC State and will be joining the lululemon team. I will be working in the store and am excited about this opportunity. I have loved my past retail experiences. I love what lululemon stands for and their community engagement. I am not making this choice because I am desperate to get out of my current position or because it's the only job I could find. I am making this choice because I feel it's ...

Life Moves Pretty Fast...

' Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.' -Ferris Bueller It's been just a little while. And by that, I mean it's been over a year. Wow. But I guess that's what happens when life happens. So, I'm finally carving out some time (or times, if I'm being totally honest) to write. It's not for lack of wanting. But you know, priorities. Just a few things pull my time here and there these days. Work, husband, fur kids, human kid, friends, family... the list goes on. Let me give you the down and dirty on what's been happening. January 2016, in a visit to Patrick in Aspen, Colorado, we got stuck on a mountain pass. Literally.  We had to get mountain rescued off. This is one of those stories that is SO good in person to tell, and quite frankly, where people often think I'm making shit up because it's that crazy.   That same visit, we eloped! We knew we wanted to get married. Y...

Because of You

This weekend I was reminded of why I ended up in my career.  There was a really long period of time where I thought I wanted to be a teacher, but when I was in the classroom, I found I wasn't fulfilled. While I personally loved poetry, I hated trying to get the class I was student teaching with to learn the information. I struggled with how is this going to help them grow up and be good people... Especially when many of them were experiencing forms of abuse and neglect. I was more concerned with addressing their physical and emotional needs. It was hard to admit the career I thought was perfect for me was in fact totally wrong. Between an awesome mentor and being involved on campus, I discovered that I could make working on a college campus a full time job. I earned my masters and started in a full time capacity in 2009. I've been so lucky to work with so many amazing college students since I began my masters in 2007. And this weekend was one of the best I've had in my role...