Skip to main content

Pick Up Lines

'No man will love you better...'

'Do you like to cuddle?'

Dating is THE WORST. People don't meet organically anymore, or not very frequently. I've been using online dating sites since 2008 and boy oh boy do I have stories. I've had some good dates, but more bad ones. I've learned its easy to feel like you connect with someone online but it's the real life chemistry and interaction that counts. I've learned that protecting yourself is invaluable, especially in an age when accessibility is the name of the game. I don't give out my phone number easily, nor do I let just anyone into my home. And most importantly, I don't let just anyone into my life.

Which makes it hard when you may want to let someone in. A good friend of mine has said to me her biggest worry about me post-breakup 2013 is that I will build all my walls back up. And it's hard not to do that. You open yourself up in a relationship and trust and become vulnerable, and so when that's all shattered, the immediate reaction is to make it so someone can't do that to you again.

But somehow I keep putting myself out there, just hoping that something, or rather someone, will be a reason to be vulnerable and let myself love and trust again. Until then, I'm going to remain guarded, cynical and laugh at the lame pickup lines that come across my email.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What It Means to Lose Something

If I hadn't figured out YEARS ago that I was a scattered mind individual and created systems to keep it together, gracious me, I would be a disaster.  I found myself in a meeting today, semi-panicked, because I couldn't use my phone to take notes of things that were coming to mind, so I had to flip over a sheet of paper I was using and just write down a couple of key words to keep it together. If I can't 'document' it somehow, it'll be gone. And my organization system might not make sense to everyone, but it works. For example, I have a silver turtle candle holder on the 1st shelf of my bookcase. Under that turtle goes receipts and documents I need to file. No real rhyme or reason as to how that became 'my place' but that's how it works while I'm in this apartment. I have a similar system with my keys- all 3 sets (car, apartment, work). If I stick with the system, I can usually avoid misplacing or losing things... key word = usually. But some...

Because of You

This weekend I was reminded of why I ended up in my career.  There was a really long period of time where I thought I wanted to be a teacher, but when I was in the classroom, I found I wasn't fulfilled. While I personally loved poetry, I hated trying to get the class I was student teaching with to learn the information. I struggled with how is this going to help them grow up and be good people... Especially when many of them were experiencing forms of abuse and neglect. I was more concerned with addressing their physical and emotional needs. It was hard to admit the career I thought was perfect for me was in fact totally wrong. Between an awesome mentor and being involved on campus, I discovered that I could make working on a college campus a full time job. I earned my masters and started in a full time capacity in 2009. I've been so lucky to work with so many amazing college students since I began my masters in 2007. And this weekend was one of the best I've had in my role...